
Children and teens spend about as much time with media as they do sleeping, and the overexposure could take a toll on their health, a new U.S. study suggests. The study, reported in Monday's issue of the journal Pediatrics, showed Americans aged eight to 18 spend more than seven hours per day on average consuming both old media such as TV, movies and magazines as well as new media including internet, social networking sites, video and computer games and cell phones. Dr. Victor Strasburger of the University of New Mexico reviewed studies on the combined effects of all the media consumption. The study found exposure to the media can make children more prone to violence, early and unprotected sex, alcohol and tobacco consumption, obesity, and heavy television viewing.
I agree that we are overusing television, internet, and computer games way too much. I can relate because some days I might spend hours on the internet or watching TV. Now, kids are spending their whole day on the computer playing games, on internet, or checking email. I feel this is causing kids to ignore homework and what is most important and quickly going to the TV and other unhelpful technology. I think parents should also do something about this and try to limit their children from using the computer or watching TV so much. It is important we do this because if it is causing health problems, I sure don't want to be the kid who dies from overusage of the TV.
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/03/01/media-children-teens-health.html

No comments:
Post a Comment